Follow Me

Tuesday, August 4, 2026

10 Pages into "Mastering Your Dopamine"

Bismillah.


*Disclaimer* : Postingan ini full bahasa inggris. Semacam nukil buku. Sebenarnya ini aku ambil dari chat diskusiku ke temen di hellotalk.


Kalau sebelumnya bahas novel (As Long As Lemon Trees Grow), dan agak gimana kalau di post di blog, karena bakal banyak spoiler. (But maybe I'll post some of it).


Kali ini aku memutuskan baca buku Master Your Dopamine - Nick Trenton. Setiap aku chat hasil bacaku ke temen baca hellotalk, in syaa Allah aku share juga di sini. Biar blognya gak sepi hehe.


Oh ya, mohon maaf sebelumnya kalau banyak salah grammar atau miskin kosakata. Feel free to comment to correct me, or share your opinion regarding the books. Boleh diskusi pakai bahasa Indonesia juga.


***


​I start reading "Master Your Dopamine".

My reading pace for non fiction might be slower.

I only read 10 pages. But I got a lot to take notes.​


First of all, I'm interested in this book because some weeks ago I join like one day class of psychology about addiction. And of course it talks about dopamine.


In that class, it is mentioned that of someone has addiction, they might experience dopamine deficit because the abnormal dynamic production of their dopamine.


Now back to the book.


First the author mention that to break free from addiction long term, there are 2 elements we need to pay attention:


Physiological & Psychological elements.


The author doesn't explore much yet, maybe I'll read it in the later part of this book.


For the psychological element, I learn it a little from my previous one day class.


And the physiological element, it's a new term for me. I need to study it more.


The only familiar term I know is physiotherapy, which usually given to someone after accident, or some disease. I do have experience physiotherapy for Bell's palsy after fall from motorcycle years ago.


But I don't know how it can be connected to dopamine or addiction in general, do they need physiotherapy too? I don't know.


***


Wow it's already long.. hmm.


I'll just write other point and not comment about them.


You can share some comment about these points, cause I think I might need other's perspective.


◾ To rebalance the production of dopamine, we need to do dopamine detox (cutting out processed& sugary food, make healthy changes in lifestyle)


◾ The release of domapine is not because of the reward itself, but the anticipation to get the reward.


◾ It's easy to get caught in dopamine loop if we have no moderation (in doing something that activate the release of dopamine)


◾ Dopamine actually has 2 complimentary system: "liking" system and "wanting" system. We must be wary, if the "wanting" system outperform the "liking" system.


◾ The dopamine loop is activates and maintained with cue system (it could be sound/visual) --- better to off notifications.


◾ Variable reward vs fixed reward. What makes people stay in social media/game/gambling is the variable reward that is giving surprising effect and it makes people want to come back.


***


That's all from 10 pages that I read. Have you read or learn something about dopamine? Do you have something to say about it?


Jangan ragu untuk berbagi ya.. aku terbuka juga kalau ada yang mau sharing tentang topik ini dalam bahasa Indonesia~


Oh ya.. aku kepikiran juga buat mindahin diskusi bukuku dari bottle ke blog.


Cuma mungkin effortnya agak berat hehe. Atau aku pilih screenshot aja? Entahlah. Gak janji ya.. ini cuma nulis wacana aja. Bantu doa ya~


Bye~ semangat baca meski sedikit dan pelan. Start from a page now!


Wallahu'alam.


***


PS: aku nulis postingan ini via browser hp. Semoga tampilannya gak kacau. Semoga bermanfaat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ditunggu komentarnya